Friday, April 2, 2010

Skincare: Shu Uemura Premium A/O Review

As promised in my Shu Uemura Cleansing Oils introduction, this is an in-depth review of the Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil Premium A/O (A/O = anti-oxidants).

I've been using this product since early 2008, and have only recently switched to Shu's White Recovery Brightening Advanced Formula to see if this product will add that "glow" to my skin. Now on to my review:

How I use it:

I use this product nightly, to remove makeup, and to get rid of any other impurities on my face. The Shu Uemura sales associate I talked to recommended using 4 pumps of product per use. I found this unnecessary; 2-3 pumps per use is more than enough. Two pumps if I have light makeup on; three pumps if I have a full face on.

Step 1: Start with clean, DRY hands.
Step 2: Pump desired amount of product into your hands, and massage oil to your face.
Step 3: Once you massage the product to your face, you should see your makeup starting to dissolve.
Step 4: Splash clean water to your face, and massage your face once again. You should get a light, milky end-product.
Step 5: Wash off.

Results:

What can I say? I love love love Shu cleansing oils. This took care of Himalayan lookalike forehead and chin in a mere week after initial sample. I also noticed that I break out less, and my skin is definitely softer than before. This gets rid of makeup off my skin like a dream, even getting rid of stubborn mascaras in just a wash. Even on the days without makeup, I still get that squeaky clean feeling on my skin after washing my face with it; without that harsh/ dry feeling.

Shu cleansing oils do not leave a residue on my skin. I have eliminated the use of a toner on my skincare routine since using this product.

As for its claimed anti-oxidants/ anti-aging properties, well, let's face it, I'm only 21. I don't see any "aging" on my skin (and I'm going to keep it that way for as long as possible!) but I don't think it is really connected to the cleansing oil. Of course, it is better to be safe than sorry. Any anti-oxidants on my skin gets a big thumbs up from me!

Value:

Shu cleansing oils come in 2 sizes- 150ml and 450ml. Retail price varies from $62 to $75 US for the bigger bottle, depending on what type of oil you are purchasing. In the case of Premium A/O, it retails for $72 (450ml) and $32 (150ml).

I must say that for $72, this product is very much worth it. A 450ml bottle lasts me a good year or so (although I only use it every night).

To sum it up:

Pros:
  • It works. Works like a charm in cleansing the face of makeup and impurities.
  • Easy to use.
  • Not harsh, nor drying. Does not leave any residue on the skin.
  • Shu Uemura has different cleansing oils for different skin types. Try it out to see which one works best for you.

Cons:
  • Partially expensive initial investment.
  • May get pricey if used more often that I do.


***Just to let you know... I bought this with my own money (except for the samples I got at Shu Uemura stores/ counters in Hong Kong and Vancouver.)***


Coming up on my skincare series: Clarisonic Brush Review

No comments: